Tuesday, 31 March 2009
Teiko becomes a Planeteer!
Weekend was good.. left me for plenty of food for thought....
Releasing my inner sports fan...seats to watch DC United v Chicago Fire! My first American soccer experience, and it was fun! "DC UNITED"..
It was also Earth Hour! if u don't already know basically an hour where you switch off your lights to try take control of the environmental destiny of our plant! Well on Saturday from 8.30pm-9.30pm i was probably cheering/screaming or sighing at the soccer game, however i since asked friends, getting very interesting responses back, my favourite being from my friend (cough cough i'm going to protect his identity! ha;-) was "the idea within me stretches longer than one hour" not everyone was sold on the idea it seems!
Ghana v Benin.World Cup qualifies.... Ghana won! 1-0 that was enough to make my day!
"The ability to meet our needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs".......can u combine sustainable living with my everyday essential products? i was pleasantly surprised on the companies and products available.
I am a beauty product junkie, always on the look out for the latest products and gadgets- I'm willing to give most things a try! I looked up sustainable beauty.. Perfect Right? Looking fabulous and simultaneously serving Planet Earth! Here are a few products and companies that caught my eye...mainly just copying and pasting as i haven't had the joy of trying out most of the products, for more info go directly to the site! support the planet, and buy eco friendly!
1) NVEY ECO www.econveybeauty.com
"One of the first organic cosmetics brands in the U.S market. Formulated with a careful blend of plant and mineral ingredients, natural botanical extracts and antioxidants, NVEY ECO products offer pure, gentle and beautiful make-up products for the most discerning beauty buffs. Ingredients from this unique line of make-up include Natural Beeswax, Rose Absolute, Jojoba Oil, Chamomile and selected prove vitamins such as A, E and C Known for their restorative and soothing properties. NVEY ECOs wide range of long-lasting eye shadows, bronzers, foundations, lipsticks, and mascaras run the gamut in hues, textures, and finishes offering eco-friendly make-up choices for sexy green consumers".
2) JUICE BEAUTY www.juicebeauty.com
"Innovative organic beauty solutions masterminded by a team of women who are passionate about organic and healthy lifestyles and whose organic products are backed by powerful science. Karen (Head Juicer - 25 years pioneering healthy lifestyles companies) and Melissa (Product Juicer - 15 years pioneering organic beauty formulations) are the organic wellness innovators driving Juice Beauty's success. These California women are on a mission to bring pleasurable organic beauty solutions to people worldwide. They believe that a healthy, organic lifestyle not only applies to what we eat but also, what we put on our faces and bodies".
They have their own blog! how fab! http://www.juicebeauty.com/blog
URBAN DECAY www.urbandecay.com
3) Urban Decay came out with a Sustainable shadow pallet..."ten eye shadows, a travel-size Eyeshadow Primer Potion, and a brush and mirror - all housed in sustainable bamboo. Being eco-responsible has never been so indulgent".
Colors: YDK, Flipside, Grifter, Uzi, Twice Baked, Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, Flash, Oil Slick, Kiddie Pool, Half Baked
ALTERNATE STYLE www.alternatestyle.co.uk
4) "Our trade philosophy is based on sourcing fairly traded raw materials, using natural ingredients for their original abilities and supporting ecological and sustainability of raw materials. The business has evolved as our long term customers would know. greatly beyond measure from a small family brands we have grown accustomed to can cause us, as they usually contain dangerous synthetic petrochemicals (with mineral oil usually the chief ingredient)and other undesirable ingredients.
All our products are made in compliance with EU Regulations and are safety assessed by a toxicologist and all our products are covered by public liability insurance to protect our consumers".
Ive actually tried product from this range and they are lush, uk based Alternate Style! really great and it smells amazing! They are currently giving away 150 free tickets to give away for UK AWARE 2009. So log on for your chance to win!
5)Never thought Brad Pitt & Kiehl's but apparently so...
They "recently upped their sustainability commitment by partnering with Brad Pitt on a aloe vera biodegradable liquid body cleanser with 100% of net profits going to Make it Right, dedicated to the construction of environmentally sustainable, affordable housing for the displaced victims of Hurricane Katrina which devastated New Orleans in 2005. But that's not all, Kiehl's also provides resources to educate consumers on actions they can take to protect the environment and most recently partnered with Parsons The New School for Design to create Sustainable Design Review, a student competition to highlight innovative sustainable design..."...
Brad , a role model for the ethical man! sigh
ANTI BODY www.anti-body.com
6) Anti-Body was created in 2005 after founders Tamara Johnston-McMahon, Steven and Shelby Moser felt the need to lead a more purpose-filled life. Frustrated with a sense of powerlessness to leave a positive imprint with their lives and work, they embarked on a mission to create a consumer product that would benefit both the customer and the individuals from developing countries who produce their ingredients. After extensive research about the most natural and beneficial ingredients, they formulated a body-care line that would include fair trade certified ingredients. They pledged to create SLS and paraben free products as well as initiate long-term relationships with the laborers who supply their ingredients.
I really like their site, you get the feel that they really want to give back!
I guess the moral of this blog entry is that if we want to be sustainable, we don't nec need to restrict it to energy saving light bulbs and compulsory re cycling! but if you look hard enough and are willing to make some changes here and there, then you can really begin to preserve out planet on a daily sustainable! basis...! kisses, x Teiko
p.s. leaving you with some Captain Planet! They need to bring back this show for real!!! THE POWER IS YOURS ;-)