Saturday, 4 April 2009
Above is a picture of the beautiful Anna Schloz, she has been a committed inspiring and established plus size designer for over a decade now, its every models dream (well at least mine!) to model her clothes and with the launch of her new website amd her amzing new collection its apperent why!
1) Anna you have been successfully designing for over 10 years, and your collections continue to go from strength to strength, how did you begin your career in fashion?
I started a sewing class when I was 13 as I was already 6ft tall and wore a size 12US and I could never find any young and fashionable clothes to buy. After sewing courses came pattern cutting courses and eventually I moved to London to study at St. Martins College. I set up my own label in my last year of college.
2) You are a very beautiful woman, and have been a successful plus size model in the past, tell us a little about your experience as a plus size model? What where some of the highlights of your career?
Thanks for the compliment! I didn’t enjoy being a plus size model very much to be honest as I had to model such ugly frumpy clothes (plus size fashion was much worse 15 years ago). I was never very good at hiding my dislike for the pieces I was wearing and always thought that I could certainly do this better. I did however shoot an Anti Aids campaign for condoms which was great fun and I was on billboards all over Germany.
3) Looking at your new website www.annascholz.com its is clear that you have a range of influences that go into your pieces, (esp the tropical collection which is a personal favourite!) how are you as a designer inspired?
The streets of London are truly inspiring , the fashion here is very creative and individual. So people watching is one of my favourite past times. I especially love everything vintage and visit Portobello market frequently for great finds.
4) As a designer you work closely with models and agencies, do you think there has been an increase for plus size models, or do you think its still a niche market?
There are a lot more agencies now with great plus size models.
We are always looking for new faces . This niche market is growing!
5) What are some of the most exciting things happening in the industry right now?
The credit crunch is difficult but also a cleansing process. I believe that some of the frumpier and out of date businesses have to go and we can focus on the new and exciting. I can feel an upswing already and sales for spring are very strong. We have just taken on Saks Fifth Avenue as a new online customer which is very exciting to us.
Our new much more sophisticated online store has opened!
6) What type of woman do you think your brand appeals to?
Hopefully not only one type of woman....but a curvaceous woman who loves fashion and is interested in making herself look and feel great. We really have an amazing variety of customers and I love dressing women of all ages, cultures and sizes.
7) You are originally from Germany, but reside in London, tell us some of the things you love about London?
London is very cosmopolitan. I love the multi-cultural society and the different influences in the city.
8) What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love traveling and seeing different cultures. My last big trip took me to China to Thailand where I combined work with holidays. very inspirational.
I am also in love with my new puppy Frida and my boyfriend and me love walking in London’s parks with her. We have a great circle of friends who we see nearly every weekend.
'If you are bored in London, you are bored of life'
There is something for everybody.
9) tell us about one of the most exciting points of your career thus far?
Moving into our new big offices in December was a highlight as working in here is so much nicer.
Selling to stores like Saks , Neimans and Harrods is a great feeling as my designs get appreciated.
10) Lastly, where can we find out more about your pieces?
On our brand new website www.annascholz.com , we update it every month with news and new items!